Families can increase math proficiency in their children by playing fun games at home. In this seminar, you will learn some strategies, activities & games that you can play as a family to increase student success in math. Materials to use at home will be provided, supplies may be limited. Register in advance: https://bit.ly/2rVgFtA
Growth Mindset and Universal Design for Learning for New Educators
Thank you for attending my breakout session at NTA on Wednesday, August 1, 2018. Please feel free to email me if you need any further support with implementation. [email protected]
Please find the powerpoint slides and handouts below. I hope to see you at future trainings or on future webinars. Have a wonderful school year!
Also check out these websites:
Thank you for attending the disability awareness presentation for School Resource Officers.
Please find the presentation in PDF form here: SRO PD 2018
For additional information about students with disabilities:
IDEA and FAPE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4On6QVnW6wc
What is EBD? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60rIWA_ke60
Thank you for attending my session Family Fun with Math at The Family Cafe 2018. Please find the referenced slides and resources below. Enjoy!
- Family Cafe 2018 Slides
- Advice for Parents, from Professor Jo Boaler https://www.youcubed.org/resources/6-ways-support-childs-mathematical-development/
- Parent’s Guide to a Growth Mindset
- Standards for Mathematical Practice Parent Guide
- Standards for Mathematical Practice for Parents
- Mathematics Fluency Standards
- With Math I Can https://www.amazon.com/gp/withmathican
- Number Fluency Video (Subitizing) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZVeT6_ZIm0
- Provided Resources were ordered from Really Good Stuff. You can find more here: https://www.reallygoodstuff.com/math-mats-dice-games-complete-set/p/164261/tab/k8/
What is the Number Knowledge Test (NKT)?
The NKT is a free, individually administered number sense screener. It takes approximately 10 minutes per student to administer. This test can be used to identify if a student is on par with their same age peers in number sense. For more on the NKT, click here: https://wsfcs.learning.powerschool.com/ahawkins2/ecdepartment/cms_page/view/24727217
Goals of the Number Knowledge Test
1. To determine if a student is functioning at, above, or below age/grade level in number knowledge
2. To determine which number concepts the student has mastered, which she is struggling with, and which she still needs to learn
3. To assess a student’s progress over the instructional period or academic year
Click here to download the Number Knowledge Test (NKT) NKT for BCPS
Now What Do I Do with the Data?
View the Targeted Math Instruction Plan 0418 for details.
NKT Sample Administration Video
Under MTSS progress monitoring is vital to know if an intervention or evidence-based strategy is effective. A common error is that the progress monitoring assessment that we administer is not directly assessing the skill that we’ve been remediating with our intervention or strategy. If the assessment is not directly aligned, then we have no way of knowing how effective the remediation has been. Therefore, I have created a Padlet with progress monitoring probes that are aligned to the Three General Levels of Math Skill Development.
In the Padlet you’ll find 4 columns: Number Sense, Computation (Basic Math Operations), Problem Solving and Additional Resources. https://padlet.com/naomi_church/pmmath
Families can increase math proficiency in their children by playing fun games at home. In this FREE parent seminar, you will learn some strategies, activities & games that you can play as a family to increase student success in math. Materials to use at home will be provided, supplies may be limited. Register in advance: http://bit.ly/2hvPdQJ
When students believe they can get smarter, they understand that effort makes them stronger. Learn how simple changes in the way you praise your child can make them into more successful students and people.
Click the link to view the recorded webinar: http://browardschools.adobeconnect.com/p6mzb7gj74qa/
Download the handouts:
- Growth Mindset Movies & Videos for Children by Big Life Journal
- Webinar Certificate
- 10 WHAT Questions to Develop Growth Mindset in Children
- Growth Mindset Interactive Mini Book Freebie
- Parent’s Guide to a Growth Mindset
- Growth Mindset for Parents Webinar Slides
Growth Mindset Links:
- Mindset Works https://www.mindsetworks.com/parents/growth-mindset-parenting
- With Math I Can https://www.amazon.com/gp/withmathican/resources-home
- Big Life Journal https://biglifejournal.com/
Help me Spread the Word to End the Word™. I invite you to join me in an on-going campaign to stop the use of the R-word and pledge #Respect for everyone. Over 650,000 people have pledged their support online since the campaign launched in 2009 and we hope you can join us by making your pledge to end the use of the R-word.
Visit www.r-word.org and take the pledge and pass this email along to all your friends so together we can create communities of acceptance and inclusion for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
Did You Know?
- Young people around the world are taking a stand and raising awareness of the dehumanizing and hurtful effects of the R-word and are helping encourage others to think before they speak.
- Special Olympics is leading a global youth movement via a new marketing campaign aimed at shifting the public’s misperceptions about the organization and people with ID. Through marketing activations and events, we will be challenging the youth of the world to become the first unified generation – one that champions inclusion and unity through activities where individuals with and without intellectual disabilities participate together. We are empowering youth to make change in their communities.
- Up to three percent of the world’s population have intellectual disabilities – that’s almost 200 million people around the world. It’s one of the largest disability populations in the world, perhaps you know someone?
- Language affects attitudes. Attitudes impact actions. Make your pledge to choose respectful people first language at www.R-word.org.