Back by popular demand! We have new dates and host schools for our Family Fun with Math Events for the 2019-2020 School Year.
Families can increase math proficiency in their children by playing fun games at home. In this seminar, you will learn some strategies, activities & games that you can play as a family to increase student success in math. Materials to use at home will be provided, supplies may be limited. Register in advance: https://bit.ly/2GQSUt7
Events begin promptly at 6:00pm and last 60-90 minutes. You are welcome to bring your children for active participation!
- Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at Park Springs Elementary
- Wednesday, February 5, 2020 at Lakeside Elementary
Thank you for joining me at Building Successful Foundations of Mathematics at Home at the 2019 Title 1 Annual Parent Seminar. Please find resources from our session below:
- Building Successful Foundations of Mathematics at Home Powerpoint Slides
- Jo Boaler’s Website: https://www.youcubed.org/
- Parent Resources: https://www.youcubed.org/resource/parent-resources/
- Free Growth Mindset Printables from Big Life Journal: https://biglifejournal.com/pages/printables
- Growth Mindset from the Florida Department of Education: http://www.fldoe.org/teaching/just-for-teachers-community/growth-mindset/
- Handout – Advice for Parents from Professor Jo Boaler: https://bhi61nm2cr3mkdgk1dtaov18-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Parent-Night-Handout-vF-1-2.pdf
- Mindset Works for Parents: https://www.mindsetworks.com/parents/default
- Family Fun with Math Flyer 2018-19
Thank you for attending my session Family Fun with Math Webinar. Please find the referenced slides and resources below. Enjoy!
Please find the recorded webinar here: https://fdlrs.adobeconnect.com/pmuh1euahsh2/
- Family Cafe 2018 Slides
- Advice for Parents, from Professor Jo Boaler https://www.youcubed.org/resources/6-ways-support-childs-mathematical-development/
- Parent’s Guide to a Growth Mindset
- Standards for Mathematical Practice Parent Guide
- Standards for Mathematical Practice for Parents
- Mathematics Fluency Standards
- With Math I Can https://www.amazon.com/gp/withmathican
- Number Fluency Video (Subitizing) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZVeT6_ZIm0
- Provided Resources were ordered from Really Good Stuff. You can find more here: https://www.reallygoodstuff.com/math-mats-dice-games-complete-set/p/164261/tab/k8/
Families can increase math proficiency in their children by playing fun games at home. In this seminar, you will learn some strategies, activities & games that you can play as a family to increase student success in math. Materials to use at home will be provided, supplies may be limited. Register in advance: https://bit.ly/2rVgFtA
Families can increase math proficiency in their children by playing fun games at home. In this FREE parent seminar, you will learn some strategies, activities & games that you can play as a family to increase student success in math. Materials to use at home will be provided, supplies may be limited. Register in advance: http://bit.ly/2hvPdQJ
Logging in is Easy!
From the comfort of your home, office or local library or coffee shop! Starting 20 minutes before the start time, click the link, or copy and paste into your browser.to enter the Adobe Connect Virtual Room.
Select Guest, and type your name. You will need speakers to hear the meeting, and you will ask questions and respond through a chat box in the meeting.
Academic Strategies at Home
Wednesday, March 15
This training is based on Marzano’s book “The Art and Science of Teaching.” Teachers use Marzano’s instructional strategies to increase student learning and engagement. How can these strategies be used at home by parents to help build successful students in all academic areas? This one hour Webinar will give you insight into Marzano’s High Yield Strategies at home.
Presented by: Naomi Church, FDLRS Program Specialist
The Family Meeting: How it can enhance relationships in your family
Thursday, May 18
One of the best ways to prepare your children for success in a democratic society is to teach them the “give and take” that comes with cooperative problem solving or decision making. One excellent way to do this is through the Family Meeting. In this webinar, learn effective ways to improve communication with your children. No matter what the age of the child everyone can be active parents in the family meeting!
Presented by: Carol Beitler, FDLRS Parent Services
About the Presenters:
Carol Beitler has worked for Broward County schools since 1992. She has been a special education teacher, ESE Specialist, then worked in the district office as a Reading Specialist and Assistive Technology specialist before joining FDLRS as a Parent Services Specialist and Professional Development. Carol is bilingual and holds a Bachelor’s degree in Special Education and a Master’s degree in Educational Leadership. Carol taught in Chicago prior to 1992 as a special education teacher, and she is bilingual and speaks Spanish.
Naomi Church is an HRD Curriculum/Program Specialist for the Florida Diagnostic & Learning Resources System (FDLRS). Naomi has served Broward Schools for 14 years as an ESE Support Facilitator, RtI Coordinator, Instructional Coach and teacher. Naomi is passionate about professional development and building capacity in teachers and families to increase student success. Visit her math website at http://mrschurch.net.
FDLRS Reach of Broward County is a collaborative network that supports educators and families by providing learning opportunities ranging from prevention to intervention to maximize student achievement.
FDLRS Parent Services brings you FREE learning opportunities for parents in 2017!
Click here for information on our FREE webinars that you can participate in right from home!
You can also attend in person parent trainings throughout the county!
- Growth Mindset for Parents will be offered on January 24, 2017 at 6:00pm at Challenger Elementary School.
- Pre-register for this event by clicking here: http://bit.ly/2j5jK4u
- This training will focus on how parents can build a Growth Mindset in their children and even develop one themselves. When students believe they can get smarter, they understand that effort makes them stronger. Come learn how simple changes in the way you praise your child can make them into more successful students.
- Family Fun with Math will be offered on February 15, 2017 at 9:00am at Arthur Ashe Campus and 6:00pm at Virginia Shuman Young Elementary School.
- Families can increase math proficiency in their children by playing fun games at home. In this workshop you’ll learn some strategies, activities and games that you can play to increase student success in Mathematics.